Do you want to play games on the computer with a comfortable controller that you already know well? Your PlayStation 4 controller may be your first choice if you don’t have an Xbox controller. Unfortunately, when you plug it in you may find that the pc does not recognize the ps4 controller. It’s a somewhat common issue if this is your first time pairing a DualShock 4 with a PC.
You may have to try connecting it several times or update the drivers. Another option is to install free software that allows you to set up ps4 controller on pc easily. In any case, in this TecVideos article we give you the best solutions to this problem so that you can enjoy your favorite games with your preferred controller.
Why is my PC not detecting the DS4?
Before following any method, the first thing you should do is Directly connect the controller via its USB cable. After this, the Windows 10 operating system will make the typical sound that indicates that a new device is connected.
If your computer has Bluetooth, you can also try pairing it wirelessly. If it does not work for you and you want to use it without the USB cable, you may need to get a Bluetooth dongle so that it can recognize it.
When the PC recognizes the controller, you will receive a notification that a controller has been connected to the system. Therefore, you have to wait for Windows perform automatic configuration. After some time, another notification will appear on the screen informing that the device is ready to use. If it doesn’t work, it might be because any of the following causes:
- Incompatibility: If after this you try play with ps4 controller on pcyou’re going to be disappointed. Windows recognizes the DualShock as a generic controller. It is true that there are several titles that do support this command, but it is a configuration that does not come with Windows by default. In the best cases, the control will work for you, but with incorrect button mapping.
- pending updates: From time to time the Windows operating system performs automatic updates. If you have updates that have been paused, the hardware you connect to your computer may not work properly.
- faulty drivers: For Bluetooth devices to work properly, it is necessary to have the correct drivers. If they are not updated, you may have the problem that your PC does not recognize the PS4 controller.
Before these situations, we propose some of the solutions below.
The first thing you should do whenever new hardware malfunctions is to make sure your drivers are up to date and working properly. In this case, to do so, you will have to follow the steps below:
- Type Control Panel in the search field on the Windows toolbar.
- Upon entering, you will see the section of hardware and sound. Select the option View devices and printers.
- Go through the list of devices until you find the DualShock 4. Right-click it and select the Properties option.
- In Properties, go to the Hardware tab and select Properties again.
- In the Controller tab, check the controller details and update if necessary.
- If it gives you the option to Uninstall device or Disable device, you can try it and reconnect it to see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes PS4 controller is not automatically recognized by PC and it takes several attempts to pair it correctly.
If this option didn’t work for you, continue with the solutions below. Of course, first check that your PS4 controller is working correctly. If not, we recommend you visit our article PS4 controller does not charge or turn on: tricks and how to fix it.
Sync PS4 controller on PC with Steam
The reason your controller isn’t working for you may be because you’re not playing on a platform that recognizes it properly. Steam is fully compatible with the PlayStation 4 controller, making up for the deficiency of Windows. Therefore, despite the fact that in Windows there is not a good mapping of the buttons, you will be able to connect PS4 controller to PC seamlessly.
These are the steps you must follow:
- Open Steam and go to the Steam Big Picture interface.
- Go to the Settings section in the upper right area of the screen.
- Within the section, click on Controller Settings.
- Inside, you’ll see several options, most for configuring specific controllers.
- Check the box labeled PS4 Controller Settings.
- Steam will automatically recognize the controller.
Additionally, you can use the driver registry. It is a function that allows the account of steam save settings so you can use the controller on any computer without re-adjusting them. To finish, the only thing left is to give the command a name, configure the color of the light, the saturation, the brightness and the vibration.
How to connect PS4 controller to PC with DS4Windows
If your games are from platforms other than Steam, most of them don’t allow set up playstation controller on pc. In fact, almost all of them come with a default setting for the Xbox controller. Still, there is a call application DS4Windows which is very practical to configure the control with ease.
You can download it for free from its website. Once you have it on your PC, you just have to unzip it and double-click on the executable to open the application. Before doing the configuration, it will ask you for a place to save the profiles. After this, apply the following steps:
- In the application you will see two windows, one blank and the other with a photo of a control.
- Click on Step 1 to start installing the drivers.
- Click install when the dialog window appears.
- Select the Step 2 if your computer is older than Windows 10, because older drivers are needed.
- Click on finish when the installation is complete.
If necessary, restart the computer. The next time you start the application, a screen called Controllers. There you will see the controller, its MAC address and its battery level.
By default, the controller will have the native settings for a playstation 4 console. However, he remembers that on the computer almost all titles recognize the buttons as if they were from Xbox.
If you’re having trouble getting it to work, check to make sure you don’t have Steam or another similar platform open that may be recognizing the controller and giving it another setting.
If you want to know more tips and tricks to get the most out of your PS4 and DualShock, we recommend you visit:
If you want to read more articles similar to PC does not recognize the PS4 controller: solutionswe recommend that you enter our Consoles category.