Do you want to know what is Modern Setup Host? Is it a virus or malware? Is it safe to let it be on the computer? Should I delete it or not? A lot of Windows users are confused with this suspicious file in their Task Manager named “Modern Setup Host” or “SetupHost.exe”.
When some Windows PC users have noticed that their system is lagging and keeps hanging between the executions of the program, they opened the Task Manager and found that a file named Modern Setup Host is using a lot of CPU and RAM resources.
If you are also having the same problem and now you don’t know what to do with this file, then read this post. Here we have given all the details related to the Setup Host.exe file. You can decide what to do with this file after reading this post.
- 1 What Is Modern Setup Host In Windows 10
- 2 How To Fix Modern Setup Host High CPU Usage
What Is Modern Setup Host In Windows 10
Modern Setup Host is an essential Windows component developed by Microsoft. It is a self-extracting installer and archive file which doesn’t show itself until there is a Windows program is running. Whenever a Windows program or update is opened, the Modern Setup Host program starts running in the background.
This program is also known as “Setuphost.exe” which is an executable file in Windows programs. It is an important component of Windows and without it, you won’t be able to install any Windows updates and programs. The Setup Host file is located in the “Windows.BT” folder. Know about how to reboot and select proper boot device windows 10 and setup in safe.
Is Modern Setup Host Safe
Technically speaking, Modern Setup Host is safe and secure. It is developed by the Microsoft developer team and can be trusted. It is also one of the main and important installers and archive files that are used by Windows PCs. Modern Setup Host is installed along with the Windows Operating System installation itself.
However, it could be malware in disguise in a few cases. If a person has somehow managed to enter your device by hacking the security and installed malware in the name of “Modern Setup Host”, then it can surely be a danger to your device and data security. Therefore, you should make sure that your antivirus is always turned on and you install all the important programs from the official Microsoft page.
Causes Of SetupHost.exe High CPU Usage
We have said that Setup Host.exe is a safe file and useful program. However, some users have encountered issues on their devices like slowed-down computers, high memory consumption, high CPU usage, etc. All of these are somehow related to the Modern Setup Host program.
Here are the reasons why Modern Setup Host can be eating a lot of CPU resources:
- Downloading or installing higher-capacity storage files which are not compatible with your current hard disk drive.
- Corrupted, damaged, or infected application files residing in the memory or storage of the computer.
- If the Modern Setup Host file on your device is not legit or was infected, corrupted, or attacked by malware, then it can cause Setuphost.exe to use a lot of CPU.
Can I Delete Modern Setup Host
As we have said earlier, it is one of the important Windows components as plays a key role in maintaining the installations and updates of your operating system. Firstly, you can’t uninstall or delete it as it was added to your system at the beginning of the OS installation.
Even if you somehow managed to uninstall it from the PC, it will only worsen the device’s state. You won’t be able to run the Windows programs, especially installations and updates without the Setuphost.exe file. So, don’t even think about deleting it. Instead of it, you can perform some solutions given below to fix the problem.
How To Fix Modern Setup Host High CPU Usage
If you have detected any unusual activity by the Modern Setup Host file, such as high memory and CPU usage, lagging of CPU, or malfunctioning of Setuphost.exe file, then follow the methods given below and fix the issue on Windows.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If the SetupHost.exe file in your system is unable to install the updates, then run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix the problem. Follow the steps given below to run the Windows update troubleshooter on your computer.
- Press Windows+I keys to open the Settings page. Click on “Update & Security”.
- Once in the Update & Security window, select “Troubleshoot” from the left pane.
- Now, go down to select Windows Update, and click on “Run the troubleshooter”.
- If there is any issue found with updates, Windows will ask you permission to fix or skip.
- Click on “Apply this fix” and wait for the Windows Troubleshooter to fix the problem.
Perform A Clean Boot
A clean boot will start the Windows with a minimum set of drivers and files required by the system. Doing so is proven to fix the Modern Setup Host update installation issues too. Follow the steps given below to perform a clean boot on Windows.
- Press Windows+R to trigger the Run dialog box on the screen.
- Now, type the “msconfig” command in the box and click on “OK”.
- In the “Services” tab, check the box for “Hide all Microsoft services”.
- Click on the “Disable all” button now.
- Next, go to the “General” tab, and click on the “Selective startup” option.
- Uncheck the box for “Load startup items”.
- Then, go to the “Startup” tab, and open the Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager, right-click on each file, and select “Disable”.
- After disabling all the files here, save your changes by clicking “Apply” and “OK”.
- Restart the computer and then update Windows. The Setuphost.exe will be fixed.
Delete Corrupted System Files
This is another effective method to fix the Modern Setup Host executable file. Follow the steps given below to delete the corrupted files from the system.
- Go to the Cortana search bar and type “command prompt”.
- From the results, under Command Prompt, click on “Run as administrator”.
- Now, once in the Command Prompt, enter the following commands one by one.
- After giving each command, press Enter and wait for it to be completed by 100%.
- When you have finished all the commands, exit the window, and restart the computer.
- The Setuphost.exe file using high CPU and memory will be fixed by this step.
Delete SoftwareDistribution Folder
Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder from your computer can also fix the Modern Setup Host high CPU and update installation issues.
- Press Windows+R to trigger the Run dialog box on the screen.
- Now, type the “softwaredistribution” command in the box and click on “OK”.
- Copy the files in this folder into any other folder of the computer for backup purposes.
- Then, select all the files in the SoftwareDistribution folder, and delete them.
We hope you got to know the complete details about the Windows Modern Setup Host Executable File in this post. It is a useful Windows component needed for Windows upgrades. You shouldn’t remove or delete from the device. But, if you see it is using a lot of CPU resources, then try the fixes given here and resolve the issue. Follow the Techy2Tech website for more useful guides and interesting posts.