If there is a website that you visit very often or there is a page that you don’t want to miss and that you want to access as quickly as possible the next time you need it, web page shortcuts are a very useful solution. Generally, it is common for us to have desktop shortcuts of our most used applications or programs, but not everyone knows that it is also possible to create them from URLs.
In this TecVideos article we will tell you quickly how to create a shortcut of a web page on the desktop, whether you are on Windows or Mac. In addition, we will also explain the steps you must follow if you also want to create an icon or direct access to a web page on your Android mobile, on an iPhone or on a tablet or iPad. Go for it!
Create a shortcut in Windows 10
No matter what kind of browser you use, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or some other, there is a very easy way to create a shortcut of a website on your desktop. Follow these steps and, if you have any doubts, look at the images below:
- Go to your Windows desktop and right-click anywhere on the screen.
- In the displayed menu, you will find the New option. Hover over this option and select Shortcut.
- A window will appear where you can copy the web address you want the shortcut to point to.
- Then give it a name.
- The shortcut will be created and will have the icon of your default web browser.
If instead you want create the shortcut from the browser when you are on the website of your choice, just follow these steps:
- When you’re on the website of your choice, hover over the icon located right next to the web address in the address bar.
- Click on the icon and drag it to the desktop. You will see that you will be able to read Create Shortcut.
- Drop it on the desktop and the shortcut will be created automatically.
Create a shortcut on Mac
In the event that you are using a Mac computer, the process is very similar to that of Windows. In this case, instead of pressing the button right next to the web address, follow these steps to find out how to create a shortcut of a web page on mac:
- Open the browser of your choice, be it Safari, Chrome, Firefox or something else.
- In the address bar, click once on the address of the website of your choice.
- When you see that the entire address is overlaid, keep your cursor pressed on it and drag it to the desktop.
- Release and the shortcut will automatically be created on the desktop.
- It will have the name of the website, but you can change it whenever you want.
This also works if you want to know how to create a web page shortcut in Chrome. In addition, you can also do it from Google Chrome by entering the tools menu located at the end of the web address bar.
Click on the three dots and hover over the More tools option. Click on Shortcut and you are good to go.
Create a shortcut of a web page in Android
Creating website shortcuts on your mobile device can be even more convenient than creating it on your computer. You will save time entering the browser and typing the URL and you will be able to place it in any part of the menu that you prefer. If you want to know how to create a shortcut of a web page on mobile Android, just follow these simple steps:
- Enter the browser and go to the website you want to create a shortcut for.
- Click on the three dots icon to access the browser options. It’s in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Choose the Add to Home Screen or Add to Home Screen option.
- The mobile will give you the option to give your shortcut a name and you will be able to find it in your Home.
- You can also modify and move it as if it were an icon of any app. Now you know how to create a shortcut on Android!
Find out more tricks for android in our articles:
On iPhone or iPad
Finally, we tell you the steps you must follow if you want to make a direct access to a website on the iPhone or iPad. It’s very similar to the way it works on Android, so if you know how to access Safari’s options menu, you should have it figured out in no time. Follow these steps:
- Enter Safari and go to the website you want to create the shortcut for.
- In the bottom bar, press the option to share or to export the web to other applications. It’s the one with an up arrow.
- In the dropdown menu, select the Add to Home option.
- Give your shortcut a name.
- You can now find it as the last icon of your start menu, as well as move it as you prefer as if it were another app.
Follow the same steps if you are using an iPad.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to create a shortcut to a web pagewe recommend that you enter our Software category.