Since the release of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, users of Apple devices, iPhone or iPad, can use PS4 and Xbox One peripherals to play and thus take advantage of games from the Apple Arcade service or from the App Store itself. It is worth mentioning that, currently, they can also use the PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers, thanks to the iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 updates. Therefore, if you are a fan of video games, you have enough facilities to enjoy your hobby on an iPhone or an iPad.
At TecVideos, we are going to focus on telling you How PS4 and Xbox One controllers connect to an iPhone or iPad. We’ll also tell you which games support these controls, and go over some issues you may encounter and how to fix them.
Without further ado, we are going to start with our little guide that we hope can solve all the doubts you have or those that may arise in the near future.
- 1 Connect a PS4 controller to iPhone and iPad
- 2 Connect an Xbox One controller to iPhone and iPad
- 3 Common problems and how to fix them
- 4 What games can be played with the PS4 or Xbox One controller on the iPhone or iPad
Connect a PS4 controller to iPhone and iPad
We start with the PlayStation 4 controller, the DualShock 4. The process is quite simple, you just have to follow the steps that we indicate below:
- On DualShock 4, simultaneously hold the PS and Share buttons for about 5 seconds until the LED bar light starts flashing.
- Then, on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Bluetooth. Make sure you have this feature enabled and look in the list of available devices for the PS4 controller, which will appear as DualShock 4 Wireless Controller.
- Once you have it located, press that option on your iPad or iPhone so that it is paired with the command, which will happen when the LED is pink. From there you can play any game compatible with the DualShock 4.
If you want to know more tricks for the PS4 controller, be sure to visit our article Cheats for PS4 and DualShock 4.
Connect an Xbox One controller to iPhone and iPad
The process of connecting your Xbox One controller to iPhone or iPad is quite similar and simple. Before we start, you have to keep in mind that the first Xbox One controllers are not compatible with iOS, since they do not have the Bluetooth function. The compatible controls are those of Xbox One X, Xbox One S and those of the Elite 2 model. In short, you can connect all models of the 17XX series to your Apple device.
Now yes, we tell you the steps to follow to connect an Xbox One controller to iPhone and iPad:
- To start with, with the controller on, you have to hold connect button for about 3 seconds until the home button, the Xbox logo, flashes fairly quickly. The connect button is located next to the left trigger and near the Xbox One controller’s charging slot.
- Once you’ve done the first step, on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Bluetooth. In the list of available devices, the remote must appear with the name of xbox wireless controller.
- Now all that remains is to press that option and your Apple device will be paired with your Xbox One controller, ready to play.
Common problems and how to fix them
Despite being a simple process, there can always be some problems that spoil the experience and the usefulness of these controllers a bit. So, it’s our turn to talk about some of those PS4 and Xbox controller glitches and how to fix them.
We are going to talk about those failures that can arise in the DualShock 4 of the Playstation 4.
The iPhone or iPad does not recognize the PS4 controller
To begin with, if you are wondering what to do if your Apple device does not recognize or detect the PS4 controller, the answer is easy. You have to turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone or iPad and turn it back on. Then, after waiting a few seconds, go back through the pairing process described above.
Controller stops working after pairing
Another problem that may arise is that after you have used the PS4 controller on your iPhone or iPad for several times, it suddenly stops working.
To get started with troubleshooting this bug, you have to remove the DualShock 4 from your list of available devices, within the Bluetooth function. Simply tap the information icon next to the DualShock 4 Wireless Controller and unpair both devices to start the pairing process again and fix the issue.
If for whatever reason it still doesn’t work, check the dualshock 4 battery on your console. If it’s out of battery, put it on charge for a while and try your luck again.
Another alternative, if the binding still doesn’t run, is to use the apple device reboot. You can also make sure that you have the updates compatible with the controls mentioned, if you do not have it, you must update the software.
The controller does not pair correctly
Finally, the DualShock 4 may start to crash at some point after using it on different platforms, thus preventing it from being paired to an iPhone or iPad. The solution to this is simple, you just have to reset controller to return to its factory settings. Follow these steps:
- Turn the controller around on the back, there you will see a small hole, near the left trigger, which is where the button you will use to reset the controller is located.
- Hold down the button with a paperclip or something thin and long for about 3-5 seconds.
- With this action it should already work, both on your PS4 and on your iPhone or iPad.
Xbox One controller crashes
The truth is, the Xbox One controller shares most of the problems and solutions that the PS4 controller does, but we do want you to consider the following if your Xbox controller fails to pair with your Apple device:
- Make sure you are not connecting multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time.
- Some features cannot be used when the controller is paired with an Apple device, such as the controller’s audio jack.
- Check that the firmware on your controller is up to date. To update it you have several methods: wirelessly, with a USB cable or through a Windows 10 PC.
What games can be played with the PS4 or Xbox One controller on the iPhone or iPad
Now that we have already talked about the problems that may appear and their solutions, we are going to get into the matter and we are going to leave you a list of some of the games that you can enjoy, both from your iPhone and from the iPad, with the controls of Xbox One and PS4.
As we have already mentioned at the beginning of the text, the apple games They are divided into two platforms. There are those that can be found in the App Store itself and that are at the hand of anyone who wants to, and the titles that make up the service of apple arcade subscription. If we put both catalogs together, we are left with a wide variety of games for all its users, that is why we are going to leave you a selection with some of the best games compatible with PS4 and Xbox controllers.
App Store Games
- Genshin Impact
- Call of Duty: Mobile
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- sonic the hedgehog
- Asphalt 8: Airborne
Apple Arcade Games
- Butter Royale
- NBA 2K21 Arcade Edition
- Way of the Turtle
- Hot Lava
- ocean horn 3
- Agent Intercept
- The Get Out Kids
- Skate City
- World of Demons
- Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
- what the golf
- Sayonara Wild Hearts
As you can see, in both lists there is a lot of variety of genres and quite successful titles, so it does not seem like a bad idea to use Xbox One and PS4 controllers to play on your iPhone or iPad. We may have missed some along the way, but the ones that are sure to help you get an idea of what awaits you, both in the App Store and in Apple Arcade.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to connect a PS4 and Xbox One controller to an iPhone or iPadwe recommend that you enter our iOS category.