You might come across the name conhost.exe in your task manager if you are a windows user. The error conhost.exe sometimes causes high memory and CPU usage. Then what is conhost.exe? conhost.exe is known as the Console Application Host, which is one of the components of the windows that is responsible for the Clent Server Runtime Subsystem(CSRSS)and the Command Prompt launch.
Usually, when you open the command prompt, you find this conhost.exe process in the task manager on windows10. The real conhost.exe is important for the process of the windows which is related to the csrss.exe and the cnd.exe.With some exterior features, the Console windows Host process provides Command Prompt.
So, let us consider illustration, as everything else had it allows the Command Prompt to use the same window frame, and also it allows to drag and drop the file directly into it. By default, as the commands, the system should run as many conhost.exe processes. but often it is corrupted or missing. Let’s try the troubleshooting methods to fix it.
How to Fix the Conhost.exe?
First, you have to determine the cause, to fix the issue with conhost.exe or conhost.exe windows 10. By the windows-Resource monitor, you can use the built-in utility. It will also allow you to track all the processes and with more detailed information, it is a kind of an advanced task manager. Therefore to run this process there are several ways.
- Head to the Start, in the search line enter the “Resource Monitor”.
- Head to start > then select windows system.
- Press “Windows + R” to open the “Run” box and then enter “resmon” and click on enter.
- Now, navigate to the “C:\Windows\System32” and find the perform.exe and run it.
Method 1: Conhost.exe windows 10
To recover the infected conhost file, run the system file checker. Moreover, this feature is built into Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Vista, and Windows XP. Then to perform this method follow the given below steps.
- To open the Run box, press the “Windows + R” keys together.
- Now, type the “cmd” in the given text box and click on Enter.
- Then, before the process, press “Ctrl + Shift” keys together to run the command prompt as the administrator and click on “Enter”.
- Once the command prompt window is opened, then input the command ” sfc / scannow” and click “Enter”.
- Now, this utility will start scanning the files and helps you to solve the issue conhost.exe. Then to complete the process, use the Commands.
Method 2: conhost.exe Commands
We suggest disabling the commands that cause the problems as if you have found that the error occurs when the OS is launching and also check what programs are set to run. Therefore to disable follow the given below step
- Press “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” keys together to open the task manager.
- Now, head to the “Startup” tab.
- Then reinstall the troublesome programs.
Reinstalling the troublesome programs might help you to fix the error conhost.exe windows 10.
Method 3: conhost.exe Built in windows Option
Method3 involves the built-in windows option, therefore the built-in windows option – troubleshooter might help you to fix the error conhost.exe windows 10. Then to perform this method follow the given steps as mentioned below.
- Head to Start (Windows button).
- Now, click on the Gear icon to open the settings page.
- Now, select the “Update & Security”, then to the Troubleshoot.
- And select the Category that you would like to check.
It is recommended to run in the windows safe mode then perform it as mentioned below.
- Press “Windows + R” to open the Run dialogue box.
- Enter “msconfig” in the given text field and click on Enter.
- Then, head to the Boot.
- Now, checkmark the “Safe boot” option and click on “OK”.
Then the system will perform the safe boot and check if the error conhost.exe is fixed or not.
Method 4: Conhost.exe Advanced Users
Method4 is recommended for advanced users. If you have found that the conhost.exe file is missing, then you have to download it from a trusted source. However, you should be aware that this could be dangerous and even more effective when it comes to the system files. Moreover, the improper system file configuration may lead to the irreversible crash of the whole OS. See modern setup host in windows.
Is it a legit process?
The Orginal conhost file is a legit process and is required by the operating system which you shouldn’t remove or disable from your device. Sometimes there might the chances that this process is not original. Then what to do in such cases, what happens if the process of the name con host is taking much memory and uses a huge amount of the CPU.
Then to verify the process you can follow the given steps as mentioned below.
- First, on your device, open the task manager.
- Now, in the task manager right-click on the process tab and select the option “Open file Location”.
- In the C:\Windows\System32, if you have found that the file is the conhost.exe, then by this you can conclude that the legitimate program is running this process.
- if you have concluded that the file con host is not found in the location “C:\Windows\System32”, then there might be the chances that the malware program is faking itself as the Console windows host process. In such cases, you should have to run the anti-virus software on your device to scan and remove the malicious files, as a virus of this kind might take the memory and uses a huge amount of the CPU.
How the Conhost file is Infected and Deleted?
Several reasons might cause the error conhost.exe. Where some of the reasons like no antivirus installed, when the software installed was not monitored by the anti-virus software, downloading the files or the programs are from shady websites also see err_empty_response in windows. As the infection process is not ambiguous i.e., once the virus enters your system, it might begin to download and replace the files.
Well, the above information that we have provided helps to know conhost.exe what is it and how to fix it if it encounters on your device. With this article, you might know conhost.exe what is it, for more information simply visit our Techy2Tech website.